Sir Cowasjee Jehangir Institute of Psychiatry
Sir Cowasjee Jehangir (1812-1878), civil engineer and master constructor of Bombay, was asked in 1847 by the British government to execute certain irrigation projects in Sindh.
He completed his work in 1850 and before he returned to Bombay, wishing to do good by the province of Sindh and recognizing the needs of its people, he secured 42 acres of land at Giddu Bandar (Hyderabad) on which he constructed a hospital for the mentally ill.
In acknowledgment of the great philanthropist's gift, the grateful people of Sindh named it the Cowasjee Jehangir Mental Hospital.
A hospital located in Latifabad suburb of the city of Hyderabad, in Sindh, Pakistan. It was established in 1852 during the British Rajand was named after Jehangir Cowasji Jehangir Readymoney. It is the largest psychiatric hospitalin Pakistan. It is locally known as Giddu Bandar Mental Hospital.