DIWAN MITHARAM TRUST

Add some more info about this item...

Diwan Dayaram Gidumal (1857-1927 AD), a retired Sessions Judge, founded Diwan Mitharam Trust to aid educational institutions and award scholarships to deserving students to prosecute higher education. Mitharam hail and hostel in Karachi are reminiscent of his philanthropy.

 

Besides, several institutions, Pathshalas, Libraries and Medical Dispensaries were set up under the Trust: for instance, the Gidumal Sanskrit Pathshala and Sadhu Ashram at Hyderabad, The Karachi Central Library, Homeopathic Library, Shivakung Students Home, Mobile Homeopathic Dispensary, TB Sanatorium Dharampur, an Orphanage in Dholya, Shanti Asham Amritsar, Naval Rai Hiränaiid Academy Hyderabad, the Hyderabad Education Society, Rishi Ghat, a Poor Girls' Fund and the National College at Hyderabad, were established through the efforts of this retired government servant.

NED UNIVERSITY AND HOSPITALS

Add some info about this item

This is the story of a Parsi father and son; Edulji Dinshaw, and the son Nadirshaw Edulji Dinshaw for their contributions to Karachi. The city today has hospitals, educational institutes and residential colonies that are products of their tireless, selfless efforts for the development of this metropolis.

 

Before the Partition of 1947, the city had a number of these statues in memory of the people who had served it.

 

Dinshaw was the first individual in Karachi to have established no less than 12 hospitals for the people's welfare. In 1885, the Vicerine of India, Lady Dufferin (wife of Frederick Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood, Viceroy of India from 1884-1888), announced the Countess of the Dufferin Fund which was meant to provide medical services to women in different parts of India.

The Raj asked Sindh for donations for the fund and the entire Sindh donated a total of Rs 10,000. The Dufferin Fund committee itself donated Rs. 5,000 rupees. The sum was not sufficient to build a hospital at the time, leaving the project uninitiated for more than half a decade. In 1894, Edulji Dinshaw donated Rs. 50,000 to the fund, making the initiation possible.

 

During the construction, certain changes in the design caused the cost to jump up a bit and Dinshaw voluntarily provided for it all. Not only this, Dinshaw also bought the hospital's first consignment of medicinal supplies, while his son Nadirshaw donated furniture for it. In the end, compared to the total donation by the committee and the province, amounting to a mere Rs. 15,000, the Dinshaws donated Rs. 85,000.

 

Edulji Dinshaw was also an educationist. He would donate hundreds of thousands of rupees to the Bombay University in order to financially support students in need. The Mama Parsi School in Karachi and the Sardar Dastoor Girls School in Pune (India) are examples of their efforts towards education.

 

The most noteworthy example is the engineering institute in Karachi that many aspiring engineers dream to get a slot in – the NED University of Engineering and Technology; it is among the top engineering universities in Pakistan. Almost every educated Pakistani knows about the institute and honors its reputation, but not everyone knows that NED stands for Nadirshaw Edulji Dinshaw.

Nava Vidiyala

Add some info about this item

This institution was started in January 1897 by Mr. Pribhdàs Shewkrarn Advani in a rented building and was recognized as a High School in 1900. The Hyderabad Municipality subsequently granted the site measuring 15,935 sq. yards near the Collector's Katchehry at a nominal rent of one anna per year for 999 years lease.

On the above site, a very large and impressing building was constructed but owing to faulty workmanship a large part of it, shortly collapsed in the year 1916. The government had made a large contribution towards the building. It is on record that in March 1916, 500 pupils were enrolled in this school whom 461 were Hindus, 28 were Muslims and the remaining were of other religions. A small boarding-house was also attached.

Navalral Hiranand Academy (Hyderabad)

Add some info about this item

Late Mr. Hiranand Showkiram Advani had established this institution in the year 1888 A.C. in a rented building under the name if Union Academy, which was changed into Hiránand Academy after his death in the year 1893. There. after in the year 1900, it was transferred to the present building near, the Post Office on a site measuring 16,272 sq. yards, which was granted by the Municipality on a nominal rent of one anna a year for 999 years lease.

 

The total costs of the building were Rs. 77,000/- of which Government had granted Rs.

3,291/-. The balance was contributed from the Navalrai Hiranand Memorial Fund and from the Jacob Memorial Fund. The school was containing 24 classes and other rooms besides the Jacob Hall which was so big and designed to accommodate 8000 pupils at a time. There were two separate boarding houses in a rented building. The record shows that in the year 1916-17 the number of pupils on the rolls were 575, composed of 522 Hindus, 44 Muslims and 9 others of different castes.

 

The number of boarders was 34. After partition, it is called Government High School and presently its location is on Risala Road. Nowadays it has also Law College on its right-hand side having the name as Hyderabad Sindh law College.

Largest Mental Hospital in Asia

Add some more info about this item...

Sir Cowasjee Jehangir Institute of Psychiatry

Sir Cowasjee Jehangir (1812-1878), civil engineer and master constructor of Bombay, was asked in 1847 by the British government to execute certain irrigation projects in Sindh.

He completed his work in 1850 and before he returned to Bombay, wishing to do good by the province of Sindh and recognizing the needs of its people, he secured 42 acres of land at Giddu Bandar (Hyderabad) on which he constructed a hospital for the mentally ill. In acknowledgment of the great philanthropist's gift, the grateful people of Sindh named it the Cowasjee Jehangir Mental Hospital.

 

 

A hospital located in Latifabad suburb of the city of Hyderabad, in Sindh, Pakistan. It was established in 1852 during the British Rajand was named after Jehangir Cowasji Jehangir Readymoney. It is the largest[citation needed] psychiatric hospital in Pakistan. It is locally known as Giddu Bandar Mental Hospital.

Tarachand Hospital (Hyderabad)

Add some more info about this item...

It is situated in the heart of the city near Fakir jo-Pir opposite to City College and cloth market Its full name is Koob Chand Tola Ram Municipal T B Clinic It is also known Tarachand Hospital It was established in the year 1935, by a philanthropist named Koobchand Tola Ram It was established for the poor TB (Tuberculosis) patients Nowadays it is run by Municipal COmmittee Hyderabad which has renamed it as Hafiz Mubarak Hussain Hospital.

 

It comprises of General Ward and Ward for TB Patients In general ward minor diseases are treated and another ward is reserved for TB patients deals with outdoor TB patients. About 200 patients including males females and children are visiting daily for treatment.

This hospital is now under the control of the Municipal Corporation It is financed by Municipal Corporation as well as it receives donation from the public for the smooth running of the hospital

1 / 1

Please reload

Contact Us

21250 Hawthorne Blvd 

Suite 500

Torrance CA 90503 

info@mohubbat.org

Tel: 424-209-7050

Connect with us

Mohubbat Org is a Non-Profit, Tax-Exempt Charitable Organization

Under Section 501(c)(3) from irs.

© 2019 by MOHUBBAT.ORG

  • Black Facebook Icon